Dr. Simpson's distinguished career started with a Bachelor of Science degree with Honors in 1984 in Psychology from The University of Iowa. In June of 1984, he joined the prestigious Cardiovascular Research Center at the University of Iowa College of Medicine as a Research Assistant under the direction of Robert Felder, M.D. In 1990, Dr. Simpson graduated with a degree in Medicine from the University of Iowa College of Medicine.
From 1990 to 1991 he completed a General Surgery Internship at Gunderson Clinic/Lutheran Hospital in Lacrosse, Wisconsin. Dr. Simpson then returned to the University Of Iowa Department Of Otolaryngology and spent four years in Head and Neck Surgery Residency Program. In March of 1996 Dr. Simpson was certified By the American Board of Otolaryngology.
From April 2002 to 2005 Dr. Simpson was president of the Iowa Academy of Otolaryngology, as well as Legislative Representative for the Board of Governor for The American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery from 2000 to 2005.
Dr. Simpson is Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Iowa City Ambulatory Surgery Center. In addition he serves as President of the Board of Directors for Mercy of Iowa City Regional PHO.
Dr. Simpson's Society, Academy and Association memberships include the following:
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, Inc.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Sleep Disorders Association
- Johnson County Medical Society
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Rhinologic Association
- Iowa Medical Society
- Iowa Academy of Otolaryngology
- American Medical Association
- American Otolaryngology Administrators
- American Tinnitus Association
Head and Neck Surgery Residency Program
In March of 1996 Dr. Simpson was certified By the American Board of Otolaryngology.